Thursday, November 3, 2011

Book Review: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

 

Let me first say that I am not a vegetarian.  I don't fault those who are, but I don't think that is how we are designed to eat.  The average American eats far too little fruit and vegetable and way too much processed food, bad fat, and grain-finished meat.  I won't go into that big can of worms right now - maybe I'll address that in a later post.  The bottom line is that we really do need to eat more plants!

Now with that said, I will say that this is one of the most used reference cookbooks on my shelf.  I often need a quick reference on how to prepare a specific vegetable that I don't make frequently.  I may have picked up a large bag of a new vegetable at the market because they looked so fresh but I have never cooked.  Maybe I am looking for a way to liven up a common vegetable that I have gotten stuck making the same way over and over.  That is when I grab this book.  There are a few pages devoted to almost any vegetable you can get your hands on, giving selection, cleaning, prepping, and cooking tips.  In addition, there are over 800 recipes!

Other than being a great, encyclopedic resource on vegetables, what I like about this book is that it is practical.  It does not focus on exotic ingredients that taste like you are eating tree bark as many vegetarian cookbooks do.  While there is information on many lesser-known ingredients, the majority of this book is full of recipes that the average person who enjoys vegetables will eat and will be able to prepare with minimal hassle.  There are also many recipes that even the pickiest "meat and potatoes" diner would find appetizing.

You don't have to be a die-hard foodie or militant vegan to enjoy this book.  If you are looking for a way to enjoyably increase the fruit and veggies in your diet, this book will give you many ways to do so.  Highly recommended!

1 comment: